It Takes a Village would like to share how we have been discussing both the current climate of protests, police violence, and the Black Lives Matter movement, as well as this country’s long history of racism and oppression against our Black and Brown neighbors. As a human service agency, we have a responsibility to address institutional barriers in our society and actively work to combat racism and inequality. This work requires acknowledging and understanding our own blind spots when it comes to systemic and structural racism and privilege. It is imperative that our volunteers, staff, and leadership are educated about how our Black and Brown families move through the world, their unique struggles, and how our words and actions, intentional or not, affect their health and safety. We commit to being good allies and to ensure that EVERY family that wants support can access it, and that EVERY family feels welcome in their Village. We vow to do better, to be not only inclusive, but actively anti-racist. We are grateful for the resources available to us to educate ourselves, as well as for all members of the community who are willing to join us in honest conversations.
Additionally, we believe that when a family calls for help, they deserve to have someone qualified respond to them, whether that first responder is a medical professional, a social worker, a recovery coach, a mental health provider, a peer, or one of a myriad of other specialties. We support programs and policies that invest in mental-health care and housing, expand the use of community mediation and violence interruption, and work on preventing poverty and addiction instead of criminalizing them. We believe that families are resilient and communities are stronger when everyone works together to welcome the newest members of their Village, and we pledge to work even harder.
To provide free postpartum and early parenting support to families with babies and young children living in Western Massachusetts, and to inspire the community to welcome the newest members of their Village.
In the proverbial Village, community members contribute to the well-being of a child and offer support to parents. Through It Takes a Village, parents and caregivers are encouraged and supported to develop their own postpartum network, decreasing the isolation that is common in rural areas and improving connection to communities.
The It Takes a Village Community . . .
- Values new families
- Understands the importance of addressing challenges of the postpartum time
- Provides practical and emotional resources for new families to thrive
Families are connected, strong and resilient, easily engaging with their community, knowing the Village is there for them.
We believe . . .
- Families are resilient and communities are stronger when everyone works together to welcome the newest members of their Village.
- Assisting families make connections to the community eases social and geographic isolation.
- Families with babies and young children benefit from a support system that can provide practical and emotional support and essential resources.
- Our guiding principle is to increase each family’s connection to community, assist them in finding and building their own support systems and improve access to resources.
- We provide all our programs with the utmost integrity and respect, inclusive of all families.
CONNECTION SUPPORT COMMUNITY RESOURCES RESILIENCE INCLUSIVITY INTEGRITY