Groups and Events
Our Fall 2018 group scheduleis up at our Parents Group Page.
Saturday September 15, 11:30am-1:30pm
The Village Closet
2 Main Street, Cummington, MA
We are thrilled to have local author and educator Kim John Payne of Simplicity Parenting come to speak on the topic of screen time in the modern world and how to manage it with our children.
This talk is not “Anti Screen” but “Pro-Connection” to Nature and People. Free childcare and refreshments will be available, and the Village Closet will also be open on this day. Among the topics discussed will be:
- How to maintain loving limits, warm, firm and calm discipline and strong family connections in a world where increasingly “screens are supreme.”
- How to build focus, grit and good judgment so that our kids do not become overwhelmed with media driven images but can shape their own self esteem, hopes and dreams.
- How to encourage respect when negative images of adults pervade pop culture.
- Fitting in with friends. “Won’t my kids be disadvantaged if I limit screen media?”
- Aloneness vs. Loneliness. Helping kids know the difference.
- The alluring world of no boundaries that screen use develops and how this makes discipline difficult.
This talk is free and open to the public. Refreshments and childcare will be provided.
Please share, and RSVP on our Facebook event page.
United Way Diaper Drive – August 1–August 29
August 1 — August 29
Stop by The Village Closet or one of our other diaper drop-off locations (TBD) and donate a box of disposable diapers or some wipes. The sizes that are most needed are 4, 5, and 6. Pull-Up training pants are helpful too! United Way’s goal this year is 25,000 diapers and 25,000 wipes! Learn more at www.uwhampshire.org/diapers.
In the News
- “Expert to lead workshop on electronic use among youth,” from the Daily Hampshire Gazette, September 8, 2018
- “Opinion: Helping Hands,” from the Daily Hampshire Gazette, September 3, 2018
- “It Takes a Village” from The Daily Hampshire Gazette, August 26, 2018
- “It Takes a Village, Village Closet,” from iBerkshires.com, July 2, 2018
- “Village Closet hits $100K mark in donations,” from the Daily Hampshire Gazette, June 23, 2018.
- “It Takes a Village”, from The Berkshire Eagle, June 19, 2018
- Valley Gives PSA, New England Public Radio, May 2018
- LGBTQIA+ Families, Mass Appeal WWLP, May 2018
- “It Takes a Village rolls out film series, new groups”, from The Daily Hampshire Gazette, February 12, 2018
- “Family support agency hosting open house”, Berkshire Eagle, September 2017
- “United Way Diaper Drive PSA”, Hits 94.3, June 2017
- “Nonprofit seeks backpack donations for foster kids”, from The Daily Hampshire Gazette, June 2017
- “Backpack Drive PSA”, Hits 94.3, June 2017
- “United Way grants awarded”, The Daily Hampshire Gazette, June 2017
- “Women’s Fellowship Follow-Up – It Takes a Village”, from the Westhampton town Newsletter, November 2016
- “Agency offers free support to moms”, Springfield Republics, November 2016
- “It Takes a Village: More than a Proverb in the Hilltowns of Western Massachusetts”, from Vida Leche Amour, October 2016
- “Village Closet offers free items to young families”, from The Country Journal, October 2016
November 2017 – A Success Story
- April 2017 – The Village Closet Runs on … Keurig?
- January 2017 – Meet our Board of Directors
- November 2016 – Hilltown Charity Brings Holiday Cheer
- September 2016 – New Hours, New Groups, New Team Members
Free Public Events
Know of a free event happening in the Hilltowns for families with children ages 0 to 5 years of age? To add it to our calendar, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to our calendar for more Hilltown Events.